'Christmas Fayre' ( - Part 2)


The ceramic products that I designed for 'Christmas Fayre' have been amongst the most challenging and exciting! As a surface pattern designer I work in 2D, but as a product developer I have to be able to imagine my finished product in 3D and provide accurate drawings and instructions to help factories turn my concepts into reality.




My design process nearly always begins with hand drawing. For 'Christmas Fayre', I scanned my drawings into Adobe Illustrator and converted them into vector files for the factories to use; however, for the salt and pepper set and napkin rings pictured above I had to provide accurate drawings of the sides, top and bottom as well - pretty tricky when designing on paper! The factories have done an amazing job of interpreting my drawings and I couldn't be more pleased with these finished products - all of which, incidentally, are painted by hand!




For the ceramic mug and plates I chose areas of the designs to emboss, so that the characters stand off the products creating a fun and tactile surface - I think the finish suits my little gingerbread man perfectly!

Images copyright Kitchen Craft 2012

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JUST A CARD INDIE WEEK - DAY 5 - INDIE FRIDAY

JUST A CARD INDIE WEEK - DAY 4

JUST A CARD INDIE WEEK - DAY 3