A Few Changes At www.vickyyorkyyorkedesigns.com ...

 

The shop is now re-open after its little break and as I continue to restock for Christmas, I wanted to address some changes you might have noticed. 

As many of you know, I opened the shop in 2020 during the pandemic as a way to keep my business going and as a place to sell some of my licensed products and the handmade items I would normally be selling at craft fairs. I really appreciated your response. I was, and remain, so grateful for your support during such a difficult period for me while I was shielding. Not only did it bring in much needed income, but it offered me a connection to the outside world as I chatted to customers and other store owners online. As the world, (including my own little shielding world), has opened back up I have found myself busier and busier with freelance projects and licensing again, which is great because that’s the core of my business, but I’ve also found I’ve really been neglecting the shop this year, which makes me sad. (I’m really quite attached to it!) There’s only me here and I’ve had to ask myself some searching questions about work-life balance. I don’t want to close the shop, but I do need to find a way that it will work for me going forward...

For now that means no personalised products, or handmade products other than those that are already in stock. While I loved making hundreds of Christmas cards last year, it’s not going to be practical for me right now, so this year get your Christmas cards early because I have a small selection pre-made, but once they are gone they are gone!!! 


And this goes for reusable stationery too...


I will not be selling my popular handmade ornaments on the website this year, but I am delighted to announce a selection of pre-made ornaments will be available exclusively soon via my wonderful local stockist, Winnie & Olive. Please check out their beautiful stores in Kinver & Wall Heath or shop with them online

3 FOR 2

As the shop has grown, my studio has essentially become a stockroom and I am really struggling for space to be creative. I'm also hugely aware that people do not have enough money right now and I want to be able to help, so for the foreseeable future you will find a large amount of my shop products on 3 for 2.




This means that when you add any 3 applicable items to your shopping basket and go to checkout, the cheapest of the 3 items will be free. It helps you and it helps me too! Some of these will be end of line items, while others I have plenty in stock, but they are all high quality products, which I hope are more affordable. Items on permanent 3 for 2 (while stocks last) include:  

• Christmas cards

• Trays

• Placemats

• Teabag tidies

• Oven gloves

• Aprons

• Tea towels

• Tea cosies

• Chopping boards (very low stock)

• Boxed mugs

• Pot stands


NEW PRODUCTS

For new products I have a lovely surprise for you, which has just landed in stock from one of my licensing partners. I will be telling you much more in an upcoming blog post and be sure to check out the NEW section of my website this week for a sneaky first look! 

Plus... Have you checked out my brand new Made to order clothing yet? 

I favour the made to order approach, because you can order through my website and the product will be made especially for you by one of my selected factory partners. This means I don’t have to hold as much stock, there is less environmental waste and you also get to support a variety of small British businesses when you order from me. Ethics is very important to me and I spend a lot of time researching quality products that I can bring to you as exclusives on my website that are affordable, but that are fairly made and sustainable. I have recently launched my everyday sweatshirts and Christmas jumper / sweatshirts, which are made in this way. They are all WRAP certifiedwhich assures a safe, legal and ethical manufacturing process and my sweatshirts are printed in the UK using Oeko-Tex certified inks which have no toxins, are eco-friendly and vegan.


POSTAGE

I'm offering completely FREE postage on all made to order products so the price listed next to the jumpers is the total price you will pay. 

For in stock items postage is still added separately at checkout. Please be aware that Royal Mail have put their prices up this year, but I have not. I try to keep my prices as affordable as possible for you, but the only negative comments I have ever received about my store were regarding P&P charges. 

Please know I make nothing on postage and the cost is beyond my control. In fact there is sometimes now a big disparity between what I am charging you on the website and what I am being charged by Royal Mail. I don’t mind covering this for you as much as possible, but where the disparity is too great I may need to send some packages second class. Please bear this in mind when ordering for Christmas as after the first Royal Mail strike I had a batch of orders that took over two weeks to arrive when posted second class, so I am concerned what will happen with the strikes that are planned by Royal Mail in the run up to Christmas. For all your Christmas shopping, (not just with me), I recommend looking to do it as early as possible and please, please continue to support small.

For those of you who are local to DY10 I continue to offer a local pick-up option from my home, or a local delivery service within 5 miles for in stock items. Please note that this is subject to availability and collection or drop-off times must be mutually agreed as this needs to be worked around my other commitments. Thank you for your understanding. 

SUSTAINABILITY

I'm always looking at ways to be more sustainable. While some of my licensed products are produced overseas, I only sell items through my website that I believe are excellent quality and have been made ethically. I have chosen to stock these items because they are beautiful products that I hope you will enjoy at an affordable price. For the products I personally commission for the website, when not making myself, I purposefully seek out UK manufacturers who make locally in small batches, or to make to order. I look for manufacturers who focus on ethical practises and protecting the environment. You will find that the sweatshirts are sent out to you in large brown paper bags, with all packaging fully recyclable. I now also only send out parcels using eco-packaging, which includes paper-protective wrap, biodegradable bags, or card envelopes. When completely necessary (i.e. for ceramic items) I either use recycled bubble-wrap or reuse bubble wrap that has previously been sent to me. I always encourage you to keep your packaging and reuse it. The pocket mirror packaging is also reused and I think it makes a lovely little pouch to keep your mirror safe in your bag. I also use recycled and paper packaging tapes. It may not all look as pretty, but it's worth it if it helps the planet. For several reasons I am no longer gift-wrapping items in tissue paper - your items will arrive wrapped in standard eco-friendly packing. 

PLEASE HELP!


I have lots more product ideas to bring to you in 2023 if I can keep making the shop a success, while juggling it with my other work. One way you can help this to happen is to tell your friends, family and colleagues about my website. It's increasingly difficult to be seen online and word of mouth continues to be a great way for people to find me. Facebook no longer has the visibility for posts that it did when I first opened the shop meaning that even though I have less time now, it takes a lot more effort and / or a lot more cost on my part to keep being seen. On Facebook you really help me when you 'love' my posts and interact with them by leaving a comment because it helps to beat the dreaded algorithm!
If you enjoy my posts and my products please consider sharing my facebook page and / or posts as this is the best way for my page to be seen. Over 1000 of you follow me - if everyone shared my page imagine how many people would see it!

You can also follow me on Instagram too.


Thank you, thank you, thank you as always for all of your continued support through my online store and social media. Your support is more appreciated than you can know! xx



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JUST A CARD INDIE WEEK - DAY 5 - INDIE FRIDAY

JUST A CARD INDIE WEEK - DAY 4

JUST A CARD INDIE WEEK - DAY 3